Kenya is a leading tourist, trade and investment destination. The country welcomes
many visitors from all over the world annually.
To obtain further information visit the following websites:
Applications for a visa to travel to Kenya can be done at
You can also find additional forms and information by clicking the tabs on the right.
If there is any additional information you may require please contact us and we will be happy to assist you however we can.
Local filming agents and Private production companies or individuals are requested to submit their applications through a local agent registered with the ministry. This requirement is mandatory for all applications to make feature films or documentaries.
To get the list of the latest Licensed Filming Agents, please contact:
The Film Licensing officer
Department of Film Services
Ministry of Information & Communications
P. O. Box 74934-00200,
Tel: +254 20 650120, +254 20 650120/1/2
NB: Government agencies may submit their applications through local licenced film agents.
Deadline for submission of applications:
Applications to make a documentary or a commercial advertisement are processed on application. Applications for drama and feature films are processed in less than 48 hours.
Documents to be submitted:
- Formal letter of application
- Application form duly completed – copy to be attached
- List of foreign crew members, giving names, nationalities, and passport numbers & date of expiry of passports
- Script and synopsis or storyboard
- List of equipment to be imported for shooting purposes, the value of each piece of equipment, etc
a) Filming rates in Kenya Shillings (KSHS)Adverts, documentaries, dramas, short features; still photographs 5,000
Full-length feature films, TV series 15,000
Daily filming fees 1,000
b) Liaison Officer’s service chargesThe Ministry charges Ksh. 400 per day to cover Liaison Officer’s services provided by a government Liaison Officer, to be attached to the crew.
c) Other charges:
1. Each visitor is required to pay Ksh. 2,000 to the Department of Immigration Services for a special pass before engaging in any film shooting. Artists may, however, arrive in Kenya on a visitor’s pass while the filming special pass is
2. A nominal non-refundable fee of 1% of the value of the equipment or Ksh30,000-whichever is less is payable to the Customs Department on presentation of a film license.
3. The following charges are applied for any filming in a National Park:
Ksh. 8, 000 for five (5) people for one (1) week or part thereof
Ksh. 12, 000 for six (6) – ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof
Ksh. 20, 000 for more than ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof
Special Passes for international filming crew are issued by the Department of Immigration. The special passes or work permits are available for Kshs 15,000.00
Application requirements need to be forwarded to the Department by the film agent who is facilitating the international film production.
For more information please contact the Department through:
Department of Immigration Services
Nyayo House 9th floor, Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway
P.O. Box 30191,00100 Nairobi.
Tel: +254-20-2222022, +254-20-2217544 or +254-20-2218833
Film Licenses are issued by the Department of Film Services (DFS). Fill out an application form and pay the application fee.
Documentaries, Dramas, Short Features Ads and Stills licenses cost: Ksh. 5,000. Licenses are issued immediately.
Full Length Feature Films and Reality TV shows: Ksh. 15, 000. License issued immediately.
Removal of Current Import Duty 25% and VAT 16% on television cameras, digital cameras and video camera recorders
This was amended in the National Budget June 2009, effective date being 12th June 2009.
The amendments done were:
- Removal of the current Import Duty of 25% and VAT of 16% on Television Cameras, Digital Cameras and Video Camera Recorders.
- Zero-rating for VAT and taxable goods and services offered to film producers.
- Granting a one hundred percent (100%) Investment deduction on Capital Expenditure incurred by a film producer or purchase of any filming equipment.
To apply for zero rating for film producers, complete the FL1 form attached here and submit to the Department of Film Services.
|City||Elevation (m)||Max (°C)||Min (°C)|
|Eldoret||Rift Valley town||2,085||23.6||9.5|
|Lodwar||Dry north plainlands||506||34.8||23.7|
|Mandera||Dry north plainlands||506||34.8||25.7|